|I’d like to start off by thanking each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for making the first two days back at school safe, enjoyable, and successful. Our students have adapted quite quickly and openly to working in their prescribed learning groups/cohorts. Going forward, we hope we can all work together and be patient with each other to help us cope with the new realities that COVID-19 has presented us with.
Please take note of the following information…
- Monday, September 14
- First full day of Kindergarten
- Dismissal will take place at 2:40pm (please see below for more information)
- Parent Library Helpers meeting at 6:30pm in the Library
- Monday, September 14 – Thursday, September 17
- Gym strip sale from 3:00-3:30pm under the covered area outside of the west gym door.
- Tuesday, September 15
- Walkathon sign up for parent volunteers closes
- Hot Lunch orders are due
- Intermediate Walkathon Logo Contest entries are due
- Comfort Letters are due (please see the information letter that went home today)
- Wednesday, September 16
- NO MEET THE TEACHER NIGHT
- Due to COVID-19 regulations, the Teachers will be sending you home a hard copy package of their presentation.
- Please complete the quick acknowledgement notification at the end of the package which must be returned to your classroom teacher by Monday.
- Sunday, September 20
- Holy Cross Parish Frozen Salmon Sale
- Every year, Holy Cross Parish hosts a Salmon BBQ. Due to COVID-19 regulations, this will not be possible this year. However, due to the generosity of the Polonio Family, we will provide our parents with the opportunity to purchase frozen slabs of pacific salmon. There is a limited supply and they will be sold on a first-come-first-serve basis at a limit of 2 per customer. Salmon will be sold from 9:00am-11:00am outside of the Gym Kitchen at $20 per frozen portion (cash or cheque only). All proceeds from the sale will be split between the Parish and the School. Please respect social distancing rules.
- Monday, September 21
- CISVA Temporary Transition (Option 4) Begins
- Please note that for the few families that have taken this option, your child’s classroom teacher will make an initial contact with you by the end of this week in preparation for the start up date.
- Please refer back to the initial parent survey to view what Option 4 – Temporary Transition entails.
- Tuesday, September 22
- Saturday, September 26
- First Holy Communion for current Grade 3 class (last year’s Grade 2 class)
New After-school Dismissal Procedures
After observing two days of the after-school pick up scenario in our parking lot, please pay close attention to the following comments and adjustments:
First and foremost a very special thank you to all the parents for their cooperation and flexibility in dealing with COVID-19/Social Distancing guidelines during pick-up time.
In an effort to keep parent contact with the school facility at a minimum, we have adjusted our pick-up times slightly to help with the outflow of student traffic. Therefore, please take note of the following…
- 2:40pm – Kindergarten and Grade 1 are dismissed
- 2:45pm – Grade 2 and Grade 3 are dismissed
- 2:50pm – Grade 4 and Grade 5 are dismissed
- 2:55pm – Grade 6 and Grade 7 are dismissed
Please note that Holy Cross has overflow parking available in the backlot of Brentwood Alliance Church which is next door to our school on the North side of our parking lot.
Hopefully this will help eliminate the congestion, but we are counting on parents to arrive promptly and to pick up their children at the crosswalk area. We will continue to monitor the situation and will continue to look for ways to improve it.
Also please be advised that in morning drop-off, we are encouraging families to not drop-off any students until 8:30am.
A letter was emailed out to you today regarding Holy Cross Elementary School’s plan for Extra-Curricular Programming. Please refer to the letter from Mr. DeFazio and Ms. Campbell as more information regarding schedules will be coming out next week.
Health & Safety Plan
In closing, I would like to thank all the families who took the time over the last week to carefully go over the Holy Cross Health & Safety Plan which was revised and posted on our website on August 20. Here is a direct link to the Health & Safety Plan for 2020.